Kapton® Heater Specifications and Tolerances
Maximum Operating Temperature: 392°F / 200°C Continuous
Minimum Operating Temperature: -320°F / -195°C
Physically Resistant To:
Resistance Tolerance: +10%, -10%
Maximum Operating Voltage: 480 VAC
Dielectric Strength: 1000 VAC
Standard Leads: 10" Teflon® Insulated Stranded Wire
Maximum Resistance Density: 125 Ω/in2
Other materials are available, such as neoprene rubber or vinyl plastic.
Consult Tempco for more information.
Physical Size and Construction Limitations
Maximum Size: 10" × 22" (25.4 × 56.9 cm)
- Less than 6": ±0.030" (0.76 mm)
- 6" to 12": ±0.060" (1.52 mm)
- over 12": ±0.125" (3.17 mm)
Nominal Thickness: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
Weight: 1.5 oz./ft2 (0.05g/cm2)
Etched Foil Element:
- Made with a thin metal foil (.001"), usually a nickel base alloy, as the resistance element
- Resistance pattern to be etched is designed in CAD and transferred to the foil, which is laminated to the insulating substrate; the element/substrate is then processed through an acid spray to produce the desired resistance pattern; the top layer is then added and laminated
- Lead wires are attached to the heater and insulated epoxy cement
- Has exceptional heat transfer due to its large flat surface area.
- Can deliver uniform heat profiles with higher watt densities, providing longer operating heater life
- Can also be zoned with distributed wattage or separate heating circuits to compensate for load variations
- Recommended for small size heaters in large quantities.